English Communication for Legal Practice - ECLP (Univ.)
English Communication Skills for Compliance
Nächstmöglicher Start: 04.05.2018
Dozent(en): Carla Monteiro-Reuter LLM.
Preis: 895 €
Working in the compliance field means having to deal with a complex regulatory environment governed by international norms and an increasingly globalised business context. Under these circumstances, sound communication skills in English are not simply a nice-to-have, but rather a requirement for doing the job well.
This seminar is designed to build precisely the English communication skills that are indispensable for working in the compliance field today. The focus will be on developing the participants’ conceptual knowledge of Legal English in the compliance field, as well as their oral and written communication skills in a compliance context.
At the end of the seminar, participants will have the opportunity to submit a practical written task, on which they will receive detailed feedback.
Day 1: Fr.04.05.2018, start: 10.00, end: 17.30
Day 2: Sa.05.05.2018, start: 09.00, end: 16.00
Anyone whose work involves dealing with compliance matters in English, for example (senior) compliance officers, compliance managers, lawyers and contract managers.
Key qualities necessary to succeed in the compliance field include the ability to:
- understand the implications for business of complex legal and compliance documents in English;
- communicate compliance norms and internal policies/guidelines to colleagues and business partners simply and clearly in an effort to minimise risk;
- and manage compliance challenges in a diplomatic way across cultures.
By the end of the seminar, the participants will be:
- familiar with the key Legal English vocabulary relevant to compliance matters;
- in a better position to understand complex legal and compliance information in English;
- able to speak more confidently about compliance matters in English (for example, when communicating with colleagues or business partners) even in difficult or controversial situations;
- aware of some of the key techniques they can use to improve their writing in English significantly (including drafting compliance clauses);
- and more aware of the influence of intercultural factors on English communication in a compliance context.
A good level of general English - level B2 or C1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
This seminar will be delivered by Carla Monteiro-Reuter:
- LL.M (Taxation); Solicitor of England & Wales (non-practising); Cambridge-certified trainer of English for speakers of other languages.
- Since May 2014, owner and principal trainer at TRANSACTRAINING (Munich), which specialises in Legal English, Business Communication Skills and Intercultural Awareness training for lawyers, compliance officers, contract managers and claims managers. Current work includes:
- Face-to-face seminars and webinars on Legal Writing for all legal counsel, contract managers and claims managers (Europe-wide) at a DAX30 company with its headquarters in Munich.
- Legal English seminars, regular group training and individual coaching (face-to-face and virtual) for lawyers and in-house counsel in Germany and Italy.
- Seminars on Legal Writing and Presentation Skills for the University of Passau.
- Professional Legal English certificate course for the ZWW, English Communication for Legal Practice - ECLP (Univ.).
- From 2011 to 2014, Lecturer in Law and Language at the University of Augsburg responsible for the Fachspezifische Fremdsprachenausbildung / Englisch für Juristen programme. Prior to that, a practising corporate/commercial and tax lawyer at leading law firms in Johannesburg and London, including Webber Wentzel, Allen & Overy LLP and Linklaters LLP.