English Communication for Legal Practice - ECLP (Univ.)
Nächstmöglicher Start: 19.01.2018
Dozent(en): Carla Monteiro-Reuter, LLM., Solicitor of England and Wales
Preis: 1950 €
In today’s globalised legal market, a thorough knowledge of Legal English is not an option, but a requirement. The number of legal transactions completed in English is constantly on the rise. Even when none of the parties are situated in English-speaking countries and the relevant governing law is German law, it is often the case that lawyers have to work with the English version of a contract and communicate with their clients, colleagues and opposing counsel in English.
- This Certificate Course will:
- train the participants in the core concepts and language relevant to most areas of legal practice in English
- help the participants to develop strategies for understanding complex legal information in English in spoken and written form;
- improve the participants’ legal writing skills in English (including e-mailing, advising clients in writing and drafting and amending contracts);
- improve the participants’ oral communication skills in English (including developing their negotiation and legal presentation skills);
- and create an awareness of intercultural difference and its influence on legal communication in English.
Lawyers and in-house counsel who need to communicate with clients and colleagues in English in the course of their work and who would like to develop their Legal English and Business Communication Skills in English to the level required for international legal practice.
- An insight into the common-law system and its impact on civil-law practice
- Expressions and grammatical structures typical of Legal English
- Commonly-encountered legal concepts and their meaning
- Basic written and oral communication skills
- Effective legal writing for international legal practice and how to achieve it
- Tips for e-mailing in an intercultural context
- Key terminology for commercial contracts and commonly-used drafting language
- Strategies for understanding, drafting and amending contract clauses
- Making an impression: networking with and pitching to clients
- Making an effective legal presentation
- Legal discussions and negotiations: useful language, approach and execution
A good level of general English - level B2 or C1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) - and preferably at least one year of practical legal experience.
- 19.01.2018, 9.00 - 18.00 Uhr
- 20.01.2018, 9.00 - 18.00 Uhr
- 26.01.2018, 9.00 - 18.00 Uhr
- 27.01.2018, 9.00 - 18.00 Uhr
- 02.02.2018, 9.00 - 18.00 Uhr
- 03.02.2018, 9.00 - 18.00 Uhr
- Face-to-face seminars and webinars on Legal Writing for all legal counsel, contract managers and claims managers (Europe-wide) at a DAX30 company with its headquarters in Munich.
- Legal English seminars, regular group training and individual coaching (face-to-face and virtual) for lawyers and in-house counsel in Germany and Italy.
- Seminars on Legal Writing and Presentation Skills for the University of Passau.
- Professional Legal English certificate course for the ZWW, English Communication for Legal Practice - ECLP (Univ.).
A combined exam (will be announced) comprising an oral and a written component, with the written component being a practical task or tasks requiring participants to apply the strategies for effective legal writing learnt during the course, and the oral component being a case study or simulation (or multiple case studies or simulations) drawn from legal practice, again requiring participants to apply the strategies for effective oral communication learnt during the course.
Certificate English Communication for Legal Practice – ECLP (Univ.) awarded by the University of Augsburg.
Gerne führen wir diesen Kurs in Ihrem Unternehmen durch.
Dafür passen wir die Inhalte an die individuellen Bedürfnisse Ihres Unternehmens an.